Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Tale of Yuki Mushi

Once upon a time, in the far away land of Japan there was an old women and an old man.
They wished everyday for snow so that they could go skiing. But, the snow refused to come and the cold winds of autum continued to blow. But, one day they saw in the sky what looked to be snow but, it wasn't coming down like snow and it was blowing in all different directions. "What is that?" The old man wondered. When the snow like things got closer, the old women and old man gasped. They were bugs. "This is not snow?" the old women said. But, within a weeks time snow began to fall. And that is the story of Yuki mushi.....jk.

Actually I don't completely understand the whole backing behind the yuki mushi (snow bugs). But, I do know that its a Japanese superstition. Basically Yuki mushi are white aphids. Once they start coming out in full, that within a week or two snow will fall. Lately they have been so many, I believe I have eaten some while riding my bike. Everybody has been saying it will snow on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I completely don't believe them because we have been having such great sunny weather but know it is suddenly very cold. Maybe over night it will snow. If that happens I will totally believe in the Yuki Mushi power because if my memory serves right last Tuesday was when I started to see them all the time. I guess only time will tell.


EDIT (Oct. 26..Tuesday): OK. The Yuki mushi theory is totally true. I snowed. :( Bring on the winter.

1 comment: