Monday, August 16, 2010

Japan: the center of technology

Or not ..?

A lot of times when a foreigner things about Japan they think about a couple of things. The most common being technology and Anime.


(my amazing heated toilet!)


This is just my experience but, I feel as though Japan is actually quite ghetto, when it comes to technology. One look around my office work place already lends to my experience. The use of wireless, even in the work place is often unheard of. Inside everybody uses a line to hook up to the internet. There is no AC, and although they all have computers most of them are old, and malfunctioning. Also, most things are done on paper, filed away and then also done on the computer.

Than there is home life. Some ALT's have no plumbing. Instead they have a drop tank that is picked up when it gets full. I am lucky to have plumbing but, I have an ancient shower to make up for it. To turn on my shower there are many steps, one of which involves cracking on the gas. Oh, and all my cooking and heating is done by gas and kerosene. There is no central heating, expect in the new expensive homes in Japan and very few have AC. To have internet at home is slowly becoming more popular but, for the most part everybody goes to internet cafe's or uses their phones for internet.


(my only source of heat in the winter, it this kerosene heater and I live in Hokkaido, some of my friends on Kyushu and Honshu don't even have this).


(My gas store on which I cook food)


( My ghetto shower/bath)

Than there is the doctors offices. I recently went to an eye doctor in Japan to get new contacts. It was culture shock the minute I walked in. Instead of a machine which clicks around to find how strong your glasses/contacts need to be, a person holds up different lenses to your eyes and has you read a chart. The X-ray equipment is so old it pints off a tiny picture on a Polaroid machine. They don't usually dilate your eyes to see if something could be wrong either. As for regular doctors its pretty much the same. SUPER old equipment and what seems to be no confidentiality. Oh, and when you get an X-ray you have to ask for a vest, they don't even think about it no matter how close your X-ray is to that area.

There are many other ghetto like things hanging out in Japan. So can you really call it a center of technology ???

Nikki~

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, Nikki... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you found something to do! :) see you on Wed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will try to send this one more time.
    I agree that you would think that Japan would be light years ahead of us. But at least you can have a warm toilet seat instead of the cold porclin one. (ha! ha!)

    ReplyDelete