Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The amazing world of Taiko

Its been a long time since I updated. This time I wanted to talk a bit about Taiko drumming. Taiko drumming, or Japanese drumming came to Japan in the Yayoi period from China. Although the Taiko drums of today are distinctly Japanese the concept came from the traditional Chinese drums. Modern Taiko was started in 1951.


There are four major drum types. One is the Odaiko, the biggest of the drums. This drum is usually horizontal so that two people can play it on either side. There is also the Kodaiko, this one is a smaller version of the Odaiko and is placed on the floor, so only one person can play it. Shimedaiko, is the smallest of the major taiko drums. It can be played on either side but again this one is only played by one person and stands straight not horizontal. The last is called the Hiradaiko. The Hiradaiko is about half the size of the Kodaiko and is only played by one person, usually.



Taiko to me is a high energy drumming art. To play the Taiko you have to use your whole body, including your voice. Often in the middle of songs, at the beginnings and at the ends of songs words are shouted out, which raises the tension and performance of the songs. Also, how you move your body and how you team moves their bodies can make or break a piece. Therefore when playing taiko, you have to do more than drum, you have to become one with the other drummers and create a wonderful play throughout the song.




It takes years and years of practice to even play the simplest songs well. In Japan kids can start playing Taiko when they are 3 years old.
Every time I go to my Taiko group I am amazed at how fast the kids can learn new songs and how quickly they understand when to move their bodies. I have been playing Taiko for about 6 months now and I am just understanding the basic movement and I only know 2 songs, neither of which I play well. After practice I am always drenched in sweat. Taiko drumming is seriously a full-body workout. And I LOVE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jXFAVZ3xs

(This is me and my group playing Taiko at a festival in town.)

No comments:

Post a Comment